skip navigation


Off Ice Officials - Clock Runners Needed

It is important to have off-ice officials. Each team should have 3-4 adults who know how to run the clock and fill out a score sheet.

It is really not that difficult and is a real help to your team and association. Don't leave it to that one guy who's been doing it all season, what happens if he gets sick?

If your team would like a training session, a time could be arranged during a practice. Contact Marc Norton -

November Checks

I have the November checks at my shop (Copper Island Printing) if you want to stop by and pick them up. I will drop them off at the Colosseum concession stand on Saturday afternoon.

Get 'er done

If you haven't sent me a picture of your card or some proof of your being complete for the 2018-19 season do so ASAP. I cannot assign games to officials who are not complete in their registration.

Official Registration Requirements

The Calumet Hockey Association only employs officials that are registered with USA Hockey.  Registration at usually opens August 1st. In order to become an official, the following requirements must be met:

  1. Be at least 11 years of age.
  2. Complete USA Hockey official's registration on-line at and pay your registration fee via credit card on their website. Note: This is a separate registration process from your player registration. Registration, payment, seminar attendance sign-up, online seminar modules and open book exam are now done on-line. Online registration usually opens August 1st. If it is your first year officiating do not take your online exam until after the Seminar.
  3. Register for the seminar you wish to attend. (Note: this does not automatically happen when you pay your registration fee, it is another step that is required.) This is also done online at the USA Hockey website. U.P. Seminars are held in Calumet, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, St. Ignace and Marquette. Go to the Michigan Referee-In-Chief's webpage for dates and times (see link below).
  4. Attend a USA Hockey Officiating Seminar. Look for time and place at (see link below) after August 1. Bring your helmet, whistle, skates, protective gear, notebook, a #2 pencil and money for lunch. The seminar fee is included in your USA Hockey Registration fee. Seminar pre-registration is required online, this is a required step in the process. The link for the seminar is also on the Michigan Referee-in-Chief web page (see link below). Levels 2, 3, & 4 will take a required closed book exam at the seminar.
  5. Watch and complete all "required" and the necessary amount of "elective" online seminar modules for your level.
  6. Complete the on-line open book test and achieve a passing score for the level for which you are applying.
  7. Officials 18 years of age or older must complete a background check at and bring a printed copy of the email that you have accomplished this to the seminar. There is a $12 fee for this (payable online), but it is good for 2 years. Again, a link for this form is posted at the Michigan RIC web page (see link below) and also under the Registration page of this website. Look for the Coaching Background Check link.
  8. If over 18, complete the SafeSport training at USA Hockey. You will receive information about these in the email from USA Hockey once you register. These are usually good for two years also.
  9. Once you are completely registered and have received your card and patch, contact Marc Norton, Calumet Hockey Association Referee Assignor. Game assignments are scheduled by him, and are done so on a weekly basis. His cell is 370-1300, business phone 337-1300, or email him at New officials and those that haven't been on the CHA payroll for a season must fill out a MI-W4 (see pdf below). No W-4, and you do your games for free. It's not my rule, it's the accountants who write the checks.
  10. Returning officials are reminded that their registration must be completed prior to November 30 to be preferred to be assigned games after that date.

If you would like more information or have questions about becoming an official or would like to know what to expect, please contact Marc. Business phone: 337-1300; cell: 370-1300; email: Information regarding registration, seminar schedules, seminar registration and the background check may be found at this website:

Contact Info and W-4

Below you will find a link for a downloadable pdf of the contact sheet and MI-W4 tax form. I have to have one to assign you games, the other to pay you.

Assignments are normally given via email, unless you specifically tell me to text or call. The email should be one that you check often and list the best phone number(s) at which you can be reached. (Under 18 officials please get your parents permission as to which phone and email you give me.)

New officials, I cannot, and will not assign games until I get the W-4. I cannot assign games to officials who are not complete, so get those tests done and watch those online modules, boys!

Note: Normally I send out assignments by Monday afternoon. If I do not get a reply by Tuesday night I will assign the game to someone else.


Marc Norton

Online Game Reports

If you should happen to assess a game misconduct, match penalty or a major penalty that falls under rule 411, you must submit an online game report within 48 hours. Go to the Michigan Referee-in-Chief's web page, the instructions for finding the game report page are there. (The link for the report page is on your referee profile page at In the case of a match penalty contact Eric Froberg (D8 RIC) before filing your report.

You must have the head coach's CEP number. Make sure it is on the score sheet before the game starts. The player's name and your partners are part of a pull down menu. Also ensure that the head coach has signed the score sheet before the game starts.

Here's a link for the Michigan Referee-in-Chief's webpage: